Friday, April 25, 2008

Waiting on the World to Change


Waiting on the World to Change

Lots of folks I know have had some setbacks recently, or are in the midst of transitions, either personal or professional, that have left them in a quandary as to what to while things are being sorted out. Most of these folks are not the chief decision makers, they're hard working faithful people. There is no wrong doing on their part that causes these changes and transitions, they are just caught, faithful and waiting. They are waiting on their world to change.
Sometimes when I am in transitions like these, I have the tendency to scramble around, trying to fix what I did not break, trying to find a way to make things better - for everyone. It takes me some time to realize that waiting is a spiritual gift also. I will admit that I am not good at the waiting - it is my hardest growing edge. And yet, like the seeds I planted yesterday, it will take time for them to germinate, and then even more time for them to sprout, flower and grow into full plants. Change and growth take time, take gestations and hovering, waiting, brooding. My growing edge of faithfulness is in my continuing to be faithful and expectant of God, rather than relying on my own machinations. God as Creator, like the sun and rain and warmth that broods over us all, is active in our favor, despite our machinations and anxiety. So, when transitions bear down, and I don't know how to get through the day, I look to the psalms. The ancient songs of anxious times of poets and artists and musicians waiting for the world to change.

"Restore our fortunes, O Lord, like the watercourse in the Negeb.
May those who sow in tears, reap with shouts of joy.
Those who go out weeping, bearing the seed for sowing,
shall come with shouts of joy, carrying their sheaves." Psalm 126:4-6

May we all, who face transition and tumult, remember that God is in the midst of the tumult, changing the world, wiping away all tears and filling our arms with grain and abundance. May today, I gain the patience I need to wait on God.

No comments: