Friday, April 4, 2008

One Misty Moisty Morning

"I have called you and you are mine. When you pass through the waters, I will be with you; and through the rivers, they shall not overwhelm you." Isaiah 43

Some mornings the birds sing early, welcoming the dawn. Today, the rain and mist were thick and heavy and everything and everyone was subdued. Songs and hearts seemed clouded over, fogged in and lost in the mist. Water in all its forms, is a most powerful force on earth and has the potential for both bringing forth life and waging devastation. Facing another gray, wet dawn can be overwhelming for some, even with the promise of new life and spring. Even when the clouds seem to be parting, facing another gray day, another geography of overwhelming waters can be too much for some.

So, it is days exactly like this where I seek the words of God. Ancient and modern, 'thus says the Lord", evokes for me a way forward, a promise to overcome both the small and great oceans in my life. "I have redeemed you, I have called you by name and you are mine...and I will be with you." Some days, when it seems like I cannot face another misty morning on my own steam, I remember that I am never facing daybreak or the dark of night alone. I am no stranger to God, and neither are you. Where ever you go today, where ever I go, God goes with me and goes with us, calling through the thick fog and the massing flood, holding hands and wading through the deep with us to the other side. God wades with us, stumbles with us, and has already gotten us to the other side.

May this misty morning you hear the bird song through the dim light. May you see the clouds parting and the promise of spring. And may we all recall that what we need most, God has already done.

No comments: