Sunday, March 2, 2008

To Everything Turn, Turn, Turn

When I was growing up there was (and still is) a wonderful Amusement Park called Playland within a few miles of our home. There was a rink there, where during the winters I took skating lessons. During the warm late spring and early summers, we would thrill at the opportunity to go on rides - to be thrown around, in the air, whizzing at high speeds seemingly out of control. We would willingly give up our tickets, run to the ride and be strapped in by some bored teenager. And then we would scream and spin, going sideways, up, down, everything disorienting and precarious. How wonderful and lovely it all was.

At times my life seems as if it is out of control, and I am thrown around, strapped in, whizzing at high speeds and constantly turning. Right now, my future is not sure and so what might be an amusement ride in another season, seems much more like a mighty frightening terror coaster. So it is for many people. I am reminded that these times of turning, of changing seasons and locations can be thrilling and terrifying at the same time. I know that God is in the midst of all of the seasons and changes, and yet it can be hard to see God when I am whipping by, out of control. I want to keep my focus on seeing God's love and creativity in the midst of all this turning - and yet it is a challenge for me.

May the turns in our lives not frighten us but renew us. May God be revealed not in the end but throughout. And may each season, and every day, be one of new joy and revelation. Sit back, relax and enjoy. I am learning again that I was never in control to begin with. God give me the courage to enjoy the ride.

No comments: