Saturday, March 15, 2008

"Can any of you by worrying add a single hour to your span of life? ...Consider the lilies of the field, how they neither toil nor spin, yet I tell you, even Solomon in all his glory was not clothed as one of these." Matthew 6:28-29

Yesterday, I noticed that all sorts of green life was pushing through the earth. Though March is still very cool, all of the sudden life is springing forth even though the ground is very cold. Someone, a long time before us, planted bulbs everywhere in our yard and now, they are getting ready to explode in color and life. I have been lamenting that easter is coming so early this year, but then amazing things even when the world seems out of sinc and off its axis. One very early Easter, 30 years ago this year, our first daughter, Emily was born. The world changed forever for us, that early easter, so long ago -and I am ever grateful to God for her.

Sometimes its hard for me to maintain a positive attitude in the face adversity. This season has had its share. But I am reminded that God is ever faithful, every day, even when I can't see it or feel it. God only asks me to look around and notice that life is springing forth even when I am not experiencing it in my own life. The signs of God's love are all around us, magnificent in their subtlety perhaps, but no less touched by a magnificent Creator.

So today, I invite us all to notice the signs of new life, however small they may be. A smile from a normally negative person. A song on the breeze, sunlight filtering though a smudged window. I invite us all to notice God's love in every breath we take, and to remember that God is as close as breathing.

No comments: