Saturday, February 9, 2008

A Human Bishop



Lent has started and it is time to take inventory of our humanity. Time to reflect on our inability to fix anything. Time to reflect on our real need for God. None of us is carved of stone, none of us is perfect in any way, but always living in the very limitedness of our humanity. The psalmist pleas, "create in me a clean heart, O God, and renew a right spirit within me." I can't fix my broken heart, my arrogant spirit, the years of abuse, inflicted by others and by self, the troubles I've invited or the damage that has befallen me. I can only plea to my Creator, to refashion and heal me. I can but open myself to the heart of God, knowing that Gods activity is always restoring, always healing, always pouring justice over our world and our lives torn by selfishness and injustice.

May this first Sunday of Lent find us all ready to ask God for the healing we need. For the solutions we can't bring about, and for the justice that we cannot create by ourselves. May we be human, and invite God to be God.

No comments: